TROPICAL PLANT COLLECTIONS

During restoration of the Palm House at Glasnevin, the orchids, palms, and other hot house plants have been stored in propagation areas that are not open to the public.

ORCHIDS Orchids have a special place at Glasnevin. It was here, in the 1840's that orchids were first grown to flowering stage from seed by the then curator, David Moore. In addition a number of species of tropical orchid were scientifically described from specimens growing in the Glasnevin collections, some of these were illustrated in Curtis' Botanic Magazine, and are recorded in the National Botanic Gardens art collections. The orchid house has been restored along with the great Palm House.

BROMELIADS

A complete listing of the PALMHOUSE COLLECTIONS is available here

INSECTIVOROUS PLANTS

PALMS

CYCADS