Irelandís National Strategy for Plant Conservation
comprises a set of 16 targets modelled on the GSPC, through which we can bring about better comprehension and conservation of our native plants and fungi
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16
The Global Strategy for Plant Conservation
Back to Homepage
Ireland's National Strategy for Plant Conservation - Target 13|
Safeguard the traditional practices based on plant resources, and their associated knowledge, that support local communities and their livelihoods in Ireland.
Milestones & Indicators:
- Develop a checklist of archived materials and ethnographic records covering traditional practices with reference to plant materials.
- Develop links with existing groups, including the Irish basket-makers association, the Hedge-Laying Society of Ireland, the Coppice Association of Ireland, the Thatchers guild, etc. to determine the degree to which these practices are surviving.
- Develop a school project to encourage Transition Year students to collect information from informants on agricultural or rural practices and traditions in the first half of the 20th Century or earlier. A teacherís pack and background literature would be prepared and distributed.
- Discuss with the Heritage Council the possibility of publishing a call for proposals for local projects on plant folklore etc.
- Web-based checklist of archive material made available, perhaps as a bibliography